2008 Montréal ARLIS/NA Canada Meeting/ Réunion d'affaires, IFLA Conference / Congrès IFLA
MEETING / REUNION D'AFFAIRES
IFLA CONFERENCE / CONGRES IFLA
Friday 8 August 2008, 2:30 - 4:00 p.m./ Vendredi le 8 ao't 2008, 14h30 - 16h00
acting secretary: Melinda Reinhart
Present: Jo Beglo (National Gallery of Canada), Nathalie Blanchard (University of Ottawa), Cyndie Campbell (National Gallery of Canada), Jonathan Franklin (National Gallery of Canada), Tanis Keiner, Adam Lauder (McGill University), Jill Patrick (OCAD), Melinda Reinhart (Concordia University), Janet Rothney (McGill University), Ken Soehner (Metropolitan Museum) Liv Valmestad (University of Manitoba),
1. Welcome and introductions / Mot de bienvenue et de presentation
Liv Valmestad, Chair, ARLIS/NA Canada, and Canadian Representative, ARLIS/NA, called the meeting to order at 2:30 p.m. and welcomed everyone in attendance. Introductions were made.
2. Adoption of the agenda / Adoption de l'ordre du jour
3. ARLIS/NA Board highlights
Liv Valmestad outlined her role as Canadian representative. The Canadian representative is a member of the International Relations committee and Public Policy committee. She mentioned the Executive Board blog, monthly telephone meetings as means of ongoing communication. She also pointed out that the new treasurer of ARLIS/NA is Ted Goodman.
Liv introduced the Ken Soehner, President of ARLIS/NA who briefly discussed some issues relevant to ARLIS/Canada. He began by thanking Jo Beglo for her work, congratulating her on the highly successful art section of the IFLA Conference. He encouraged all members to attend the ARLIS/NA Annual Conference to be held in Indiana in April 2009. After outlining some of the work undertaken by CPAC in terms of conference preparations, he emphasized the importance of the travel awards. Ken also mentioned that there would be a membership fee increase for 2009.
4. Melva J. Dwyer Award
The members of the committee for the Melva J. Dwyer Award include: Larissa Beringer (Emily Carr College of Art and Design), Cyndie Campbell (National Gallery of Canada), and Eva Revitt (Grant McEwan College).
5. Other Business
- The question of translating ARLIS/NA material in other languages was discussed at a Board meeting. There is a project involving the translation of a promotional brochure into French and Spanish.
- The History of Art Libraries in Canada was discussed by Jo Belgo. She reported that one new essay has been added by Michael Clark, Emily Carr and encouraged others to consider including an essay. Liv Valmestad also encouraged other members to contribute, suggesting that placing a call on CARLIS-L would be a good idea. She also suggested that the editorial committee look for a way to obtain funding. Jonathan Franklin suggested that a directory of art libraries in Canada would be useful in the context of the project.
- Liv Valmestad announced that Daphne Dufresne and Marilyn Berger published an article on the history of art libraries in Quebec in the journal Argus for a special issue on IFLA.
- Jill Patrick briefly discussed the ARLIS/NA Annual Conference to be held in Toronto in 2012. Kate Cooney is the chapter co-ordinator.
Liv Valmestad adjourned the meeting at 4:00 p.m.